As a USW 1005 Retiree Benefits Trust member, you will need to change your coverage if you experience one of the following life events.

  • Marriage
  • Legal separation
  • Divorce
  • Birth of a child
  • Termination of a common-law relationship
  • Death of a spouse or a dependant child

Reporting changes

You must notify an administrator within 30 days of change in your own or your dependants’ status resulting from marriage, divorce, separation, termination of a conjugal relationship, death, change of residence, birth or legal adoption.

The majority of status changes may be reported using the “Notice of Change” form available from an administrator.

If you provide notification after 30 days, the change will take effect on the first of the month following notification.


In the event of divorce, please notify our administrator. If your divorced spouse and/or dependant children wish to continue with similar coverage on an individual basis, they can contact Green Shield for more details.

Termination of coverage

If you want to leave the plan, please notify the administrator. Once notice of termination is received, your coverage will automatically be cancelled, and you will not be allowed to rejoin the plan at a later date.

To continue with similar coverage on an individual basis, contact Green Shield for more details.


Your newborn children must be added to your plan as dependants, within 30 days from the date of birth.